We all have days where getting started is tough. Knowing what to do first, finding the motivation to get through the long list of tasks ahead can sometimes seem impossible. When this happens, it’s important to focus your energy on what you can control, to keep you on track.
Since, we all get the same 24 hours in the day, to be productive you need to be aware of managing yourself, rather than your time. Think about what you can control, because being busy is not the same as being productive.
Being productive is about planning and prioritising, being organised and knowing exactly what needs to be completed. So, here are some quick tips to improve your productivity today:
- Create your to do list, think about the urgency and importance of each of your tasks, and prioritise them into what must be done now, what can wait and what perhaps could even be delegated.
- Remove distractions. There is a constant “beep, beep” in every office. Whether it’s social media, email, your phone or others around you, it’s important to minimise the distractions so you can remain focused.
- Avoid Multi-Tasking. Many people think that being able to multi-task is a good thing. But in the end, it can mean that you’re not focusing on any one thing and you may not be getting anything done well. It’s important to focus on one task at once.
- Give Yourself a Deadline: With a deadline in place, you can’t keep putting things off. Think about what you need to get done today, and set yourself specific timelines to complete these tasks. Set yourself a timer if needed, to help keep you on track.
- Take a Break: Keeping your mind refreshed throughout the day will ultimately help your productivity. 5-10 minute breaks between tasks will help you re-focus on what you need to be working on and help keep your energy levels high. At least once throughout the day, get outside! Fresh air and sunshine will help you feel refreshed and more productive.
So, with these tips in mind, it’s time to get started, focus on the task ahead and have a productive and successful day!